CHICKEN GUMBO (ohhh sooo goood!)
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chicken (about 4 pounds), cut into serving pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes, fresh or canned, undrained
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 cups raw rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups fresh or frozen (defrosted) okra, sliced 1/2 inch thick
Heat the corn and olive oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Pat the chicken dry, season with salt and black and cayenne pepper, and brown on all sides, in a single layer, removing the pieces to a dish as they are browned.
Add the flour to the oil remaining in the pot; reduce the heat to mediuim-low,and stir constantly for 5 minutes, incorporating crusty bits on the bottom into the flour.
Add the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the bay leaves, thyme, tomatoes, water, and chicken with any accumulated juices, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. (Begin cooking the rice after the chicken has been cooking for about 30 minutes.)
Add the parsley and okra and simmer for 15 minutes; serve over rice.
Notes: I skipped the okra this time (like to have okra when there is sausage and shrimp, though).