Scalloped Potatoes with Thyme and Bay Leaves
SCALLOPED POTATOES with THYME and BAY LEAVES
2 Tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, minced
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, minced
1-1/4 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
1-1/2 lbs (about 5 medium) russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8” thick
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream
2 bay leaves
4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and pre-heat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Melt the butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the foaming subsides, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Add the potatoes, broth, cream, and bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are almost tender – about 10 minutes. Discard the bay leaves.
5. Transfer the mixture to an 8-inch square baking dish (or other 1-1/2 quart gratin dish).
6. Sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Bake until the cream is bubbling around the edges and the top is golden brown, about 15 minutes.
7. Cool 10 minutes before serving.